Beta 2 Microglobulin (urine)
Beta-2 microglobulin, ?2-microglobulin, B2M
What is being tested?
BMG assay is used to measures the amount of a protein called beta-2 microglobulin (B2M) in the blood, urine to figure out the severity of cancer, to predict disease development and to give a treatment guideline.
Test Preparation Needed
- Collect the sterile urine specimen container and a zip lock bag from the laboratory.
- Urine may be collected at any time but the morning sample is preferable.
- Wash the genital area with soap and dry the area using toilet paper. Be sure that there remains no water or soap.
- Urinate first stream samples into the toilet.
- Collect 10-20 ml Mid Stream Urine (MSU) in the sterile container.
- Wrap the container with tissue and keep it inside the supplied zip lock bag.
- Send the sample to the laboratory as early as possible (more than 2 hrs. is not acceptable). If it is not possible to send the sample within the time limit then preserve it in refrigerator (+20C - +80C) not more than 2-4 hrs.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Test Turn Around Time