Collect the sterile stool specimen container and a zip lock bag from the counter
• Write your name age sex on the container before sample collection
• Stool may be collected at any time.
• Collect 5-10 gm stool sample in the sterile container and close it appropriately.
• Wrap the container with tissue and keep the sample inside the supplied zip lock bag.
• If collected outside, send the sample to the laboratory as early as possible (more than 2 hrs. is not accepted). Do not preserve the specimen into refrigerator.
• Submit the stool sample to the specimen reception counter.
Instruction for Occult Blood Test (OBT):
The Fecal OBT is a laboratory test which is used to detect hidden (occult) blood in stool sample. Some medication, food or dietary supplementation can modify the test result. Please follow the instruction carefully before the test.
• Certain medication such as Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin, corticosteroid; these medications need to temporally discontinue with the consent of physician prior seven days of the test and during the test period.
• Avoid to take certain raw fruits and vegetables including broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, melons and turnips/beetroot and Red meat, such as beef, lamb or processed meats like sausages, ham, bacon, hotdog prior two / three days of the test and during the test period.
• Try to avoid Vitamin C/Ascorbic acid in amount over 250 mg per day from supplementation or fruit juices or vitamin C containing food prior two / three days of the test and during the test period.
• Do not get tested during menstrual period (for female) or if you are actively bleeding from hemorrhoids.
• Please inform if you are taking any medications or supplements or recently had an X-ray test using barium contrast material or any per rectal examination.
• Following foods can be taken like fish, poultry, dairy product, cooked & canned fruits & vegetables, cereals, bread.